Strategic Goal: Every Child is Prepared to be a Lifelong Learner
The Partner for Student Success network has elevated “Early Childhood Learning and Education” as a strategic focus and convened a group of specialists within the greater St. Cloud community including representatives from the public school districts of St. Cloud, Sartell-St. Stephen and Sauk Rapids-Rice. Its purpose is to develop and implement short and long term recommendations aimed at helping every child be prepared to be a lifelong learner upon entering kindergarten.
Three key priorities have emerged:
- Educate parents, caregivers, and pre-school teachers about their role in early childhood education
- Integrate early childhood learning with K-12 education and expand focus to the development of the entire child
- Increase access to quality care and educational programs
Initial work underway includes 6-18 month initiatives to connect early childhood care and education with Kindergarten and to raise awareness and understanding with parents about the importance of early childhood care and education. The initiatives are to:
- Develop and implement a common communication tool to gather basic early care and early education information for each child at kindergarten registration;
- Create and gain consensus around a shared set of general expectations for children entering kindergarten across the greater St. Cloud area;
- Develop and distribute an early childhood care and education “toolkit” for parents, caregivers, and pre-school teachers in the greater St. Cloud area to understand: a) the importance of early childhood care and education and the tremendous part they have; b) the general expectations for children entering kindergarten; c) the resources and organizations that exist within our community.